Friday, March 13, 2009

White Day

Today we are celebrating White Day at work, because tomorrow is March 14th (but its a Saturday so we are celebrating it today) . The holiday comes one month after Valentines Day. On V-day in Korea, women buy chocolates and presents for men. Then on White Day, men are supposed to buy women gifts that are 2 or 3 times more expensive. So its kind of lopsided, but so is V-day in the States.

I had Bae Sujin, Choi Hyejin, and Shin Huiyen over for dinner last night. I made them french toast... but Korean women eat so much that they made me order a pizza also x_X That is when they told me about White Day. They were very adamant that I get them chocolate for White Day. I'm not sure how they stay so skinny... In the states the expression is "the quickest way to a man's heart is thru his stomach"... but I think in Korea it applies to women instead. If they are hungry they can't think of anything but food. Anyhow, it was lots of fun and they helped me get the television that the landlord had promised me.

I only managed to rescue two pictures because they would delete the picture unless they all thought think they looked the best in it. On the left is Shin Huiyen. She is a biology teacher and used to sit next to me in the office until they reorganized desks by what subject we teach. She understands a bit of English but is too shy to speak it usually. In the middle is my new co-teacher Bae Sujin. She adopted me because my other co-teacher is in the other office and teachers 3rd year students, so I never saw him. She teaches English and has the best English skills of all the teachers at the school. She studied for more than two years so that she could pass the exam and become a teacher. On the right is Choi Hyejin. She is also a new English teacher this year and has helped me alot in the first couple of weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment