Friday, March 20, 2009

hide and seek

Last night a few teachers took me and the 4 other new teachers to the school out to dinner. Since its a public-private school, teachers are here for life. In public schools, they are rotated every 3 to 5 years (dont ask me why). So its a big deal when my school gets new teachers. After 21 hours of class this week, plus private tutoring and spending lots of time with Korean and American friends, my voice is shot. I lost my voice thursday night and its even worse today... but I'm ready for a great weekend in Andong and Youngju.

One of my 2nd grade (11th grade) students wasn't doing his work today and when I tried to get him to do it, my co-teacher for the class said "its okay. he is on the Tae Kwan Do team. he doesnt speak english so he doesn't have to do it." Tae Kwan Do is the only sport at our school... but I think he should be required to do the work still. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want to argue in front of the students.

We are still trying to figure out where to stay in Seoul next weekend and what to do while we are there. I am content to let everyone else plan it because I'm just happy to be reunited with my friends from orientation. Especially Mandolyn and Sandile. I think that it will be impossible to explore Seoul in only 2 days but it will still be a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment